Driving quality targeted traffic to your blog or website is the most important part of your job. For example, if you use your blog as one of the ways to make money online, no matter how great your blog looks and how much quality and useful content you have on it if nobody visits it, it won’t make you any money. Of course, no blog or site is born with thousands of visitors. To drive traffic to your blog, you need to promote it.
There are many ways to drive quality traffic to your blog, including paid advertising, one of the most effective methods of getting quality traffic to your site. Still, not everyone has or wants to spend money on paid advertising, especially if you are a beginner with little or no budget at all.
Fortunately, there are many free and easy ways that almost anyone with a little work can use to generate traffic to their website or blog. Here are…
Submit your blog wherever you can!
1. Submit your blog to directories in your niche
2. Submit your blog to all the free directories and search engines
3. Submit your site to free website review sites
4. Submit every post to social bookmarking sites using only wire
5. Submit your articles to article directories like Ezine, article base, and associated content
Use web 2.0 sites and other resources to promote your blog.
6. Write related articles on Wikipedia with your blog URL in it.
7. Make a hub page for your blog, with a little bit of information about your blog.
8. Make a wiki page for your blog.
9. Make a Squidoo lens or more with a link to your site.
10. Sign up at 43things.com and write things related to your blog and what you want to accomplish (you’d be surprised how many people read other people’s list).
11. Create a myspace page for your blog.
12. Make a Twitter page for your blog.
13. Create a Facebook page for your blog.
14. Create a hi page for your blog.
15. Join the blog catalog and do the same as with MyBlogLog.
16. Use MyBlogLog to create a community around your blog and join other people’s communities so they do the same for you.
17. Create an account with Technorati, and with every new post, ping it.
18. Post related how-to videos on youtube with your blog address on the bottom of the screen or at the end or beginning of the video.
19. Use yahoo answers to answer questions related to your niche, leaving your link in the resource box (believe it or not, 15% of my traffic comes from 10 minutes a week answering questions on yahoo answers).
20. Create an account on StumbleUpon, and stumble each article you write.
21. Join as many forums as possible, especially forums related to your niche, and add your URL in the profile and your signature.
Take advantage of free tools and Plug-ins.
22. Place a “digg it” button right after your post to make it easy for your readers to Digg your post.
23. Use a comment notifying plug-in to let your readers know about new comments; believe it or not, most people read more of other people’s comments on your post than your post itself.
24. Use social bookmarking plug-ins to make it easy for your readers to submit your post to a social bookmarking site.
25. Install the “tell-a-friend” plug-in to make it easy for your readers to let others know about your post.
26. Make use of the “all in one SEO” plug-in to make your blog search engine friendly.
27. Use a forum plug-in to create a forum for your blog readers to discuss related issues.
28. Use a free keyword tool to find and use good ranking keywords in your niche.
29. Use sites like vista print to make free business cards with your site URL on them and pass it around ($5 shipping for 250 free BC!).
30. Make a free favicon easily found in your reader’s favorite file (people like to find what they want fast. I sometimes give up finding a particular article or site in my huge favorite file simply because I don’t want to spend 5 minutes going through the whole list. A favicon is like a big spotlight focused on you, between hundreds of other people!
31. Use free press release services to gain visibility.
32. Use pingomatic to ping RSS aggregators.
33. Use free advertising sources like craigslist and back page to post ads about your articles or blog in related categories.
Other Bloggers Can Help Too!
34. Talk about or if you can interview a trusted blogger in your niche.
35. Leave comments on blogs in related niches or any niche for that matter(don’t spam, leave a genuine comment, as you would like others to do so for you).
36. Make a banner ad for your blog and exchange it with other interested bloggers.
37. Use blogroll to link to other bloggers in your niche in exchange for a link to your blog on their blog roll.
38. Ask other bloggers to write a review of your blog in exchange for a link to their site from your site.
39. Dedicate a post about top bloggers in your niche. It will catch their attention, and they may link to you.
40. Whenever appropriate, link to other bloggers’ articles in your post. They will return the favor.
41. Use your best articles to post on other people’s blogs as a guest writer (it’ll gain you visibility and a new audience).
42. Ask another blogger to post on your blog as a guest (while he enjoys some new readers, it will bring his readers to your site as well).
Use your blog as a tool to attract and keep visitors.
43. Provide freebies like free ebooks, free downloads, etc., to your readers.
44. Once in a while, run a contest related to your niche and encourage visitors to participate for a prize, and do give a prize to the winner, no matter how small it will help to establish your persona as a trusted blogger, and once people see you as a trustworthy person, not only they will keep coming back to you, but they will bring other visitors as well.
45. Use common questions related to your niche for the title of your article.
46. Use keywords in your post keywords in the title are one of the easiest and most important search engine optimization techniques.
47. Use a small place on your blog to have your blog’s complete URL ready for those who wish to link to your blog.
48. Keep your blog clean and easily navigable(how many times you have left a site because you weren’t able to find what you came for?).
49. Use numbered list for your informative posts, like “ ways to…” people tend to like these kinds of posts.
50. Shocking and surprising articles will draw people to your site.
51. Be on the lookout for new developments and news related to your niche. The first person breaking a new story gets the most traffic.
52. Videos are increasingly becoming popular. Use them on your blog to your advantage.
53. Use tags for your post, as it’s becoming a trendy way of finding related content.
54. Post frequently search engines and readers like fresh content.
55. If you have any other blog or site, place a link to your site (you can even create a blog to talk about your journey with your blog/site).
56. Read and respond to your readers’ comments (if I feel that what I say is important to the writer, I am more likely to come back for more and encourage others to do the same).
57. Put your blog URL in your forum signatures.
58. Use your blog name for your user name in forums and leave comments on other blogs.
59. Ask your friends and family to dig and stumble your posts; a post with more Diggs or stumble means more visibility.
60. Put your blog’s name and URL on a bumper sticker or something like that, and attach it to your car. Big corporations pay people to place their ads on their cars! You think if it weren’t effective, they would pay people to do that! You don’t have to pay anyone, use your own car and also give some stickers to your friends and family and ask them to stick them on the back bumper.
61. Make flyers with your blog name and a short, captivating headline description and pass them in the mall or parking lots. If you use a good headline, at least 10% of the people will visit your blog out of curiosity, and who knows how many will become your die-hard fans or readers!
62. And last but not least, be patient and give it some time. No one goes from 0 visitors a day to hundreds and thousands of visitors overnight!
To make money online, you need traffic, targeted traffic, that is. Use these free and easy traffic generating methods, combined with fresh quality content, and you are sure to see a huge increase of traffic to your blog or website. Some of the above-mentioned traffic generating methods can be done in under 5 minutes, and some may take longer. But one thing is certain, if you put enough time and effort into using these methods, you will see great results, and you will succeed in driving targeted traffic to your blog.